Q:I have a white spot in the inner corner of my eye next to the tear duct and it’s sore. What should I do?

A: If the white spot in the corner of your eyes is located on the actual eyeball itself, it is most likely a pinguecula or pterygium. Pingueculas and pterygiums are overgrowths of connective tissue on the surface of the eye due to excessive wind, dust, or sun exposure. When they are irritated, it can cause soreness, redness, tearing, or sandy/gritty sensations. It is advised that you protect your eyes from the sun with UV-protection sunglasses to prevent further irritation. It is recommended that you have an eye examination by an optometrist or ophthalmologist for the proper management of the condition. – Linda Pang, O.D. at Lighthouse International

Q: I have started seeing spider web like figures floating across my right eyeball. Is this something that will pass or should I be worried about this? I currently don’t have health insurance.

A: Any time that a person sees spider web/cobweb images, thousands of small black dots or floaters, or curtain/shadow over their vision, it can be a sign of retinal detachment. It is advised that you have a dilated eye examination by an optometrist or ophthalmologist to determine the cause of the floating figures in your vision. Most hospitals and clinics have programs established for people without health insurance so you can still receive health/vision care. You need to speak with the clinic manager to discuss your options. – Linda Pang, O.D. at Lighthouse International

Q: As an IT professional, I have spent long hours at the computer. A few years ago, I started seeing ghost/overlapping images whenever I strained my eyes. Also, when I continue to read fine print or look at a bright PC monitor, my eyelids involuntarily start closing partially, as if to block some of the light away. Is this a case of monocular diplopia? My eye exams revealed no internal problems with the eye.

A: Even though there are no “internal” problems with the eyes, you may have a form of binocular dysfunction or accommodative dysfunction. Binocular dysfunction affects the ability for you to converge your eyes for reading or using a computer, which will create the overlapping images to appear. Accommodative dysfunction affects your ability to focus clearly on the intended target (near work or computer work). The reason for your eyelids involuntarily closing may be a response to the eyestrain from prolonged computer use. I strongly recommend that you see an optometrist who specializes in vision therapy so that they can perform additional tests to determine if you have binocular or accommodative dysfunction. -- Linda Pang, O.D. at Lighthouse International

Q: Since I need to wear glasses to read in low light, I have been able to see something that seems to be in my eye. It's hard to describe, but it looks like a knot of some kind of transparent filament. If I focus on it, it appears to drop out of sight. But when I blink, it is there again. Do you know what it is?

A: I recommend that you see an eye doctor (optometrist or ophthalmologist) to evaluate the filament in your eyes. It needs to be examined with a microscope in order to be properly diagnosed. -- Linda Pang, O.D. at Lighthouse International



Like us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter   Watch us on Youtube   Email   Visit our Flickr